TURN YOUR PASSION INTO YOUR PROFESSION!
The entrance exam for the international class in 3D animation is open to students who graduated from high school or are in their final year. The entrance exam consists of several creativity tests and a motivational interview where the candidate presentes his/her portfolio. An official invitation will be sent to you at the latest 8 days before the exam. The results will be sent by e-mail. If your application is accepted, you will have to fill in your registration form within the time limit announced in the email (about two weeks), otherwise your place will be offered to a candidate on the waiting list.
➔ Thursday, April 20, 2023 (remote)
➔ Friday, April 21, 2023 (remote)
➔ Thursday, April 27, 2023 (remote)
➔ Friday, April 28, 2023 (remote)
➔ Senior high school student
➔ High school graduate
CONTENT OF THE ENTRANCE EXAM
PRE-TEST (SENT 7 DAYS BEFORE THE CHOSEN EXAM DATE): CREATIVE DRAWING
NO TIME CONSTRAINTS | COEFFICIENT 18%
- Test: Creation of a series of drawings based on a given theme.
- Objective: To assess the ability to translate an emotion, an idea, a concept, a state of mind through drawing.
- Advice: Create animals, objects, characters, environments, landscapes by letting your imagination run wild. You can illustrate your reading and/or listening to music to produce images linked to words and emotions.
PRE-TEST (SENT 7 DAYS BEFORE THE CHOSEN EXAM DATE):
ILLUSTRATION / CONCEPT ART
NO TIME CONSTRAINTS | COEFFICIENT INCLUDED IN THE STORYTELLING TEST
Preparation phase for the Storyboard test (see below).
- Test: Work on a character and a setting based on a given constraint.
- Objective: To assess the ability to produce a graphic proposal of the illustration type, based on a set of instructions.
- Advice: Practise drawing scenes from non-illustrated readings (the illustrated ones may influence your proposals too much).
CREATIVITY TEST ON EXAM DAY: STORYBOARD
1 HOUR 30 MINUTES | COEFFICIENT 20%
- Test: Work on a scenario and a storyboard based on a given constraint. The character developed in the preparation phase (1/2) will be placed in a situation in its setting.
- Objective: To assess the ability to cut out a story, to illustrate the main sequences and to propose a storyboard integrating the work carried out during the illustration / concept art test (see above).
- Advice: Practice cutting out a non-illustrated story from short stories, analyze the framing chosen in films / series according to the dramaturgy.
TEST ON EXAM DAY : OBSERVATIONAL DRAWING
1 HOUR 30 MINUTES | COEFFICIENT 18%
- Test: Exact reproduction of a still life
- Objective: To assess the ability to respect a frame, the proportions of the object drawn, perspective, details, etc.
- Advice: Observation is a complex process that requires regular practice. We advise you to reproduce objects from your daily life and (if possible) to follow observation drawing courses. It is also important to detach the object from its functionality and concentrate only on its visual representation.
MOTIVATIONAL INTERVIEW + PORTFOLIO
20 MINUTES | COEFFICIENT 44%
The motivation interview aims to assess your creative potential and to measure your interest in animation. This time revolves around the presentation of your portfolio. It is also an opportunity to show the members of the jury your personality, your dreams, your commitment, your passion and the reason of your application. Your interests can help you stand out from other candidates, especially if they are reflected in your portfolio. The test is eliminatory if the candidate obtains a mark below the average.
HOW TO REGISTER FOR THE ENTRANCE EXAM?
— 1 —
CREATE YOUR FILE
To register, you will need to upload an ID photo of passport format. You will also need to write about your motivation and your interests. So be sure to prepare them beforehand.
— 2 —
CREATE YOUR ACCOUNT
Go to the registration form and follow the instructions. Your registration will only be effective after validation and payment of the exam fee. An official invitation will be sent to you at least 8 days before the exam.
— 3 —
TAKE THE EXAM
On the day of the exam, you will need your identity card. At the interview, present your portfolio and your last three report cards. For the tests, make sure you have a computer, a camera and a good internet connection.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How can I best prepare for the entrance exam?
➔ Draw every day: you can easily produce one drawing a day … Creative or observational, it doesn’t matter but draw!
➔ Cultivate yourself: watch films, news reports, read books, etc. This will feed your imagination and creativity!
➔ Find out about the professions and techniques related to the field you want to work in!
Are the exam assignments from previous years available?
No, unfortunately they aren’t. However, here is a selection of books that will help you to better prepare for the exam:
- Michael Hampton – Figure drawing
- Terryl Whitlatch – Animals, Real and imagined
- Scott Robertson – How to draw sketches and environments
- Richard Williams – The Animator’s survival kit
- Stephen Silver – The Silver way – Techniques, Tips and Tutorials
You can also visit these websites:
- The Art of Animation (Facebook page)
- Wallpapers and Artworks (Facebook page)
- Character Design References (Facebook page)
- Creature Box (Facebook page)
What are the expectations for the portfolio?
Is an English proficiency language certificate required?
Although an official certificate is not required, you must have a good level of English (B2 – C2) that will be tested through the different tests.
How many students are accepted?
24 students in the 1st year of 3D Animation International class.
How many people take the entrance exam?
Approximately 800 candidates take the exam, all programs combined.